A thoroughly uplifting experience – Ellansé
- FDA licensing No.: 026659
Ellansé is a unique filler developed jointly by Netherlands and England. Its 2 main ingredients, CMC and PCL, are medical grade and both have the ability to be completely absorbed by the body. Ellansé has been in use in the medical community for over 20 years and is a highly trusted product. It has been approved by the USFDA with a Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) certification and was approved by the EU in 2009. In 2011, Ellansé was awarded the Frost & Sullivan European Technology Innovation Award and was legalized for use in Taiwan.
Ellansé has 2 delivery mechanisms — S-type and M-type — with the main ingredients being PCL (a biodegradable polyester) and CMC (a gel carrier). It uses smooth microcrystal balls to prop up the deepest layer of skin. Here, the microcrystals can spread evenly along the tissues as the treatment progresses, creating a 3D space in the subcutaneous layer where Ellansé works to promote the regeneration of collagen. These smooth, perfectly round balls enable the skin to rebuild, while the smooth surface of the microcrystals gently stimulates the tissues to produce new collagen.
Ellansé comprises 70% CMC and 30% PCL with the former being extracted from natural plants. It is a water-soluble gel carrier with a high viscosity and good elasticity. Its efficacy for facial filling and contouring is similar to that of hyaluronic acid. The latter, PCL, has long been used in orthopedics for implants, post-surgical sutures, and facial fillers. It is a medical grade polymer that can be completely absorbed by the body and can aid in the synthesis of collagen.
When undergoing non-surgical Ellansé injections, PCL is injected into the dermis of sunken areas of the face where it moves along with the CMC gel carrier and spreads evenly into the subcutaneous tissues. The CMC provides ample support, filling the skin’s sunken areas and building a framework for the production of collagen. Following this, the PCL moves in with its micron-sized, smooth crystal balls to stimulate collagen regeneration. This helps the skin with self-regeneration and provides a long-lasting, firm lift to the contours.
After an injection of Ellansé, the CMC gel is metabolized in 5-8 weeks (black line), while the PCL microcrystals begin to gradually metabolize and disappear after 1 year (red line).
(1) Lines in the skin pre-treatment.
(2) When Ellansé is injected into the tissues, CMC gel immediately provides a filling effect.
(3) PCL microcrystals continue to function after the CMC gel has been degraded and absorbed.
(4) PCL microcrystals continue to stimulate fibroblasts, inducing the body to generate collagen.
(5) After PCL microcrystals have been completely absorbed by the body, they are replaced by the production of new, complete collagen.
(6) Through this process, the skin becomes naturally firm, supple, and radiant.
Ellansé injections are effective at filling sunken areas of the face and providing support and contouring. Microcrystals provide support for areas that need a little extra, such as the nose and jaw, for a more refined look. For sunken areas such as the apples of the cheeks and the sides of the cheeks, Ellansé treatments and the resulting collagen regeneration are effective in bringing about a natural plumping effect. As for the forehead, Ellansé, which is slightly more firm to the touch, matches exactly with the original tissues for the most natural result. However, for shallower wrinkles, the reaction of tissues to treatment must be taken into consideration, so we recommend consulting with our dermatologists on the best course of treatment
As we get older, the process of aging occurs simultaneously on multiple fronts. Cosmetic medicine has descriptions for 3 main signs of aging: sagging, sinking, and wrinkling.
When the cheeks begin to soften, this increases the tissue along the sides of the mouth, forming nasolabial folds and marionette lines, and drooping of the eyebrows and eyelids. These can be treated with non- or minimally invasive lifts. By applying heat to the skin and providing it with enough energy, we can initiate the production of collagen and elastin to improve the look of saggy areas. Treatment options include a Thermage radiofrequency lift or Ulthera ultrasound lift.
This can happen in numerous areas of the face, such as the apples of the cheeks, tear troughs, temples, cheeks, nasolabial folds, and forehead, causing a generally tired or worn-down look. To fight this, we can use fillers to restore volume to problem areas. Commonly used fillers include Sculptra, hyaluronic acid, Ellansé, or fatty tissue from the patient’s own body.
The skin can be softened by moderate botox injections in common problem areas such as the forehead, crow’s feet, and between the brows to prevent the repeated action of dynamic wrinkles. Studies have further shown that the application of appropriate levels of botox can not only slow ageing and treat wrinkles, but also help patients to appear generally more serene.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main ingredients in Ellansé help with the synthesis of collagen and are FDA and CE-certified as safe ingredients. They can be completely broken down, absorbed, and eliminated by the body. After injection, CMC gel provides an immediate filling effect. Once the CMC gel has been absorbed, PCL microcrystals continue to work, stimulating fibroblasts to produce new collagen. Finally, the collagen replaces the PCL microcrystals. This process works to maintain radiant, supple skin.
Ellansé is not a permanent filler.
There are 4 procedures to choose from, with Ellansé-S lasting 1 year, Ellansé-M lasting 2 years, Ellansé-L lasting 3 years, and Ellansé-E lasting 4 years. Though, due to differences among patients and their lifestyles, treatment results and duration will vary by individual.
- Starting 1 week prior to treatment, to avoid bruising or bleeding at the treatment site, discontinue use of Aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and supplements (such as ginkgo, high-dose vitamin E, fish oil).
- Treatments can vary from 15 to 30 minutes (depending on individual skin condition and treatment area), however due to the need for preparation and recovery, please set aside at least 1 hour for the entire procedure.
- Please inform the doctor if you have irregular immune function (eg. diabetes) or have undergone filler treatment in the past month with Radiesse, hyaluronic acid, artificial skin, collagen etc.
- Please inform the doctor if you have any special conditions, allergies, skin conditions, have been taking special medications, or have allergies to topical anesthetics.
- Before treatment, it is necessary for women to confirm whether or not they are pregnant.
- The most commonly experienced side effects of non-invasive cosmetic injections are temporary, including minor pain at the treatment site, bruising, or headaches that do not affect daily life. These side effects usually subside within a couple of weeks. Topical anti-inflammatory and anti-bruising creams can be applied after treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, hot yoga, hot springs, and saunas for 1 week following treatment.